Pizza Central in Linthorpe Road was visited by Environmental Health Officers from Middlesbrough Council’s Public Protection Service on Tuesday, May 30.
During their inspection officers found evidence of a serious mouse infestation and other breaches of food hygiene regulations.
On Thursday (June 1) Middlesbrough Council was granted a Court Order at Teesside Magistrates’ Court that confirmed the Council’s actions and required the takeaway to remain closed until Environmental Health Officers were satisfied that the health risk conditions had been removed and the business could be operated hygienically.
An investigation into the conditions will be carried out to determine if further enforcement action is to be taken.
Middlesbrough Council’s Head of Public Protection Judith Hedgley said: “The conditions at the takeaway presented an imminent risk of injury health, which included mouse droppings in food storage and preparation areas, together with a lack of effective cleaning and a lack of food safety management.
“A Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Notice was served requiring the owner to immediately close the takeaway.”
Councillor Julia Rostron, Middlesbrough Council’s Executive Member for Adult Health and Social Care, said: “The presence of mice in any food businesses is unacceptable.
“They can contaminate food with their faeces, urine and hair and spread disease-causing bacteria.
“Food business operators have a legal duty to ensure they keep their food businesses clean, free from pests and produce food in hygienic conditions.
“The Council’s Environmental Health Officers visit around 700 food businesses every year to check on hygiene standards and it is very encouraging to know that the vast majority of food business in Middlesbrough achieve the top food hygiene ratings.
“When the officers visited this takeaway they took prompt action to address conditions that could have put the health of its customers at risk.”