Preston, 52, was born in Middlesbrough and has had success with business both locally and internationally. He currently runs two Teesside based charities and invests in local businesses.
"My heart is very much here. I love the people, I love the communities... and I love the town." Preston said, speaking to CVFM. "I have expertise in international finance and I believe I can bring real investment to Middlesbrough."
Following messages of support from people across Middlesbrough, the notion of running for Mayor was firmly sealed in Preston's mind.
He has a history of community activism and standing up for people and Preston says this is as important as bringing investment into Middlesbrough.
He has set out his five key priorities for Middlesbrough, should he be elected Mayor.
1. Safer streets: to tackle the "unacceptably high" levels of crime in the local area
2. Bringing real investment: bringing in jobs and investment so the whole community has a brighter future
3. Green spaces: preserving Middlesbrough's heritage and beauty by halting the sale of green space land
4. Open political system: an end to the secrecy in local politics, bringing in a new era of openness and accountability
5. Health: tackling the ever increasing problems of health in the region - obesity and mental health being very important elements of this.
CVFM's exclusive interview with Mayoral candidate Andy Preston can be found on our Facebook page by clicking here.