And perhaps it’s made us realise we’re taking Britain for granted, with a whopping three quarters (77%) of us admitting we don’t appreciate where we live.
Despite this, half of us (53%) think Britain has some of the most beautiful countryside in the world.
But it’s all about getting THAT shot – the study found two fifths (41%) of Brits admit to travelling to UK popular destinations purely to take pictures for their social media feeds.
And while around a quarter (23%) of Brits believe London is the cultural centre of the world, 38% of those who have not visited say they NEVER will, according to research from Leonardo Hotels.
The research also discovered it wasn’t only other Brits who don’t always appreciate the capital. Two fifths (40%) of Londoners believe that tourists see more of the city than they do.
Leonardo Hotels conducted the research as part of the brand’s expansion into the capital, with three new hotels recently opening their doors: Leonardo Royal Hotel London St. Paul’s, Leonardo Royal Hotel Tower Bridge and Leonardo Royal Hotel London City.
UK’s Top Staycation Activities as voted by the public:
- Visiting a theme park in the UK (65%)
- Visiting one of the other big cities, such as Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool (59%)
- Visiting the beaches of Cornwall or Devon (48%)
- Going camping in the British countryside (43%)
- Swimming in the sea off the British coast (38%)
- Staying in the Lake District (37%)
- Visiting a Scottish loch (30%)
- Walking in the Peak District (27%)
- Walking on Snowdonia (19%)
- A trip to Northern Ireland (18%)
London’s top 10 best attractions for British visitors:
Big Ben (51%)
Tower Bridge (48%)
Trafalgar Square (48%)
The London Eye (46%)
Buckingham Palace (46%)
The Tower of London (45%)
Hyde Park (43%)
Piccadilly Circus (42%)
Natural History Museum (38%)
Madame Tussauds (38%)
Jason from CVFM Breakfast spoke to the TV travel expert Simon Calder and Rosalyn Smith from Leonardo Hotels and Jurys Inn and is now available to listen back to on Mixcloud.com/cvfmradio.