Print this page
Rate this item
(0 votes)
in News

North Riding Football League Round-Up 3/4th Feb

By Published February 05, 2018

HERE are the weekend's results from the North Riding Football League...

Saturday 3rd February



2.00pm kick-off

BEADS  4 V  3 Stockton West End
Guisborough United  0 V  3 Nunthorpe Athletic



2.00pm kick-off

Fishburn Park  2 V  1 Grangetown Boys Club
Redcar Town  1 V  1p Boro Rangers
Staithes Athletic  3 V  5 Yarm & Eaglescliffe
Thornaby Dubliners  2 V  1 St Marys 1947



2.00pm kick-off

Great Ayton United Royals  11 V  1 Middlesbrough & Teesside SA
Stokesley Sports Club Reserves  3 V  3 Redcar Athletic Reserves
Whitby Fishermens  7 V  1 Loftus Athletic



2.00pm kick-off

Bedale  5 V  0 Sleights
New Marske Lakes United  1 V  1p Lingdale Village


Sunday 4th February


2.00pm kick-off

Middleton Rangers  P V  P Boro Rangers
Guisborough Town  P V  P Hartlepool Pools Youth
Billingham Synthonia  9 V  1 Hartlepool FC
Redcar Newmarket  2 V  2 Richmond Town
Thornaby  1 V  2 Coulby Newham



2.00pm kick-off

Kader  P V  P Northallerton Town

BEADS won a thrilling battle of the in-form teams in the North Riding Football League Premier Division. The Middlesbrough side climbed to sixth in the table despite going behind to an eighth-minute Michael Snaith strike for visitors Stockton West End. Crucially, the hosts hit back quickly through Matty Wyke, before Alex Jamieson restored Stockton's lead. Again, the home side quickly hit back, this time through Nathan Summersgill, nine minutes before half-time. Snaith put Stockton ahead for a third time, on 71 minutes, but two goals in seven minutes, from Alex Brown, completed a dramatic BEADS comeback.

The other top tier tie saw bottom club Nunthorpe Athletic stun Guisborough United 3-0. Athletic netted twice through man-of-the-match and leading goalscorer Tom Atkinson, with Luke Smithyman firing the other.

The Lou Moore Trophy threw up a re-run of the opening day curtain-raiser for the new league when Redcar Town hosted leaders Boro Rangers, who pushed York City close in the Senior Cup, midweek. Jamie Bellamy put Rangers in front, from the penalty spot, on 23 minutes. However, Town levelled, just after the hour, thanks to Jamie Lee's effort. Extra time yielded no further goals, so it went to penalties, where Boro won their second shoot-out in as many weeks, Robbie Keenan on target with the winning kick after another strong showing from keeper Andy McDonald.

Whitby's Fishburn Park made home advantage count with a 2-1 victory over Grangetown Boys Club. Joe Crowther put them ahead early on, but it wasn't until Mark Waterfield's winner, five minutes from time, that Park ensured progress, after Mark Ward had earlier levelled.

Yarm and Eaglescliffe shared eight goals with Staithes Athletic, coming out on top 5-3. Jack Dalton scored twice, with Andy Miller and Craig Norman's strikes joined by an own goal in Yarm's favour. Staithes struck through Jake Thompson's twin goals and James Armstrong's finish.

Gary Mitchell set Thornaby Dubliners running inside the first minute at home to St Marys 1947. The Yarm side equalised through Chris Norlund, midway through the first period, but with two minutes remaining, Jake Maughan sent the hosts through with a late winner.

In NRFL Division One, third-placed Great Ayton United Royals closed the gap on Redcar Athletic Reserves to a single point and did their goal difference a big favour with an 11-1 win. Joe Marsay and Mark Shimwell both hit hat-tricks, for Ayton, who led 6-0 at half-time. Jamie Edwards and Calab White struck braces with Ash Woodier also on target.

Redcar were held 3-3 by Stokesley Reserves in a rollercoaster encounter. Goals from Brad Wheatley and Kalab Yohans inside the opening ten minutes saw Stokesley race into a two-goal lead. However, McCorie Carmichael, Peter Passman and Joe McGlade helped Athletic turn the match on its head, at 3-2, only for Dan Caney to grab a last-gasp leveller.

Whitby Fishermens took the honours in another one-sided clash, when Loftus Athletic visited the Lythe Sports Ground.  Goals from Karl Storr, Sam Dowey, Jord Purvis (2), Dan Brown (2) and Phil Spencer saw them to a 7-1 victory and sixth spot, with a game in hand on their beaten opponents, but sitting two points behind.  

Two NRFL First Division sides advanced to the North Riding Challenge Cup semi finals. League leaders Bedale were made to wait until the 49th minute to add to Dan Baxter's 17th minute opener. Beckett League second tier Sleights worked hard but Ross Hodgson's strike saw the floodgates open, with Baxter's second and further goals from Jonny Morris and Joe Martin sealing a 5-0 win.

It took a penalty shoot out to separate two NRFL First Division teams as Lingdale Village knocked out New Marske Lakes United. Bri Combellack netted for Village, with Blue Addison on target for Lakes as the sides drew 1-1 in normal time, before Lingdale won 3-2 on penalties.

Sunday's big winners, in the North Riding Under 19 Division, were Billingham Synthonia, who battered Hartlepool FC 9-1. Callum Daniels and Luke Duffy hit hat-tricks for Synners, with Anthony Carter, Josh Daniels and Matty Ashworth also on the scoresheet. John Stephenson netted a consolation for Pools.

Struggling Redcar Newmarket came from behind to hold Richmond Town 2-2, after Sean Thompson had put Town ahead with a curling effort that lobbed in from distance. Jonathan Carr made it two after a well-worked move down the right saw Simeon Cromerty slam against the left-hand post with Carr quickest to react. Richmond missed further chances before Sam Johnson reduced the arrears. Richmond stayed on top, but couldn't put the game to bed and were punished when Johnson finished well from a long ball forward.

Coulby Newham surprised highflying Thornaby with a fine 2-1 away success. Jay Parkin and Alex Clark were the heroes, cancelling out Joe Picket's strike.


Thanks to Andrew Snaith, NRFL Media Officer.
Read 1357 times
Login to post comments