On Air

Mike Clarke
Rate this item
(0 votes)
in News

North Riding Football League Round-Up Sat 27 Jan

By Published January 29, 2018

HERE are the weekend's results from the North Riding Football League

Boro Rangers and Thornaby Dubliners are aiming for a final place in the North Riding County Cup after both making the last four, on Saturday, though rivals Nunthorpe Athletic lost out.

Rangers beat Wearside League Richmond Town for the second time this season, but it was a much tighter affair than the 7-0 thumping doled out by the North Riding Football League Premier leaders in the Senior Cup. Joe Woods struck as Boro forced a 1-1 draw in 90 minutes, with goalkeeper Andy McDonald making a string of saves to take the resulting penalty shoot out 4-2. Robbie Keenan scored the winning kick to book a semi-final clash with York Premier League, F1 Racing.

Dubliners enjoyed a 4-1 victory at another Richmond side, Richmond Buck Inn, of the Wensleydale League. Ex-Sunderland RCA frontman Harrison Davies opened the scoring, midway through the first half, for Thornaby. The visitors then doubled their lead through Matthew Parry, early in the second period, with Anton Buchan making it three, ten minutes later. While Richmond reduced the arrears, 20 minutes from time, Davies' second, ten minutes from time, ensured comfortable progress. 

Their opponents will be Old Maton St Marys, also of the York Premier. They enjoyed a 2-0 win at NRFL Premier Division Nunthorpe Athletic.

In the NRFL Premier, Staithes Athletic hammered a heavily-depleted BEADS, 11-0, at Seaton Crescent, to ease their relegation fears. James Armstrong netted on eight minutes, with a Ryan Thompson double on 11 & 20 extending the lead further. Jake Thompson struck a brace of his own in the space of four minutes, before Ryan Thompson completed a first-half hat trick, six minutes before the interval. Lewis Calvert made it seven on 49 minutes and it was Jake Thompson again on 55 and 70 plus Ryan Thompson on 76 and 88, who completed the scoring. 

Redcar Town cut Rangers' lead to seven points at the top, but they fell behind to debutant Dion McGrother's goal at Yarm and Eaglescliffe. Stu Poulter levelled for Town, just before half-time, but they had to settle for a share of the points after a goal-less second half.

Two in-form sides served up a fine game of football at Guisborough United. The hosts fell two goals behind, to visitors Stockton West End, in the first half, but rallied with Niall Crawley and Paul Young on target, after the break.

Bedale continue to set the pace in the First Division after coming from behind to claim a 2-1 win over Stokesley Reserves. John Cairns struck inside seven minutes for Stokesley, but Bedale rallied with two strikes in as many minutes, midway through the first period, the second a 20 yard screamer fit to win any game.

Redcar Athletic Reserves remain second after edging a seven-goal thriller with third-place Great Ayton United. Robbie McCarthy's men raced into a 3-1 half-time lead with Alex Anderson striking twice and Mccorie Carmichael also on target. Caleb White replied for Ayton, who fought back in the second half. With the wind at their backs, after the break, Ash Woodier and Mark Shimwell made it 3-3, before Carmichael put Redcar back in front. White nodded over late on as United laid siege late on.

Whitby Fishermens and Lingdale Tavern battled to a high-scoring draw in blustery East Cleveland. Sam Dowey and Jord Purvis had put the Whitby side ahead, but Ste Combellack and Chris Bulmer ensured the hosts got a share of the points.

Premier Division high-flyers Fishburn Park lost out at home to Grangefield in the Yorkshire Old Boys Shield. Andy Park and Mark Waterfield's men saw their visitors reduced to ten men inside five minutes but could only muster a Sam Richardson strike in a 2-1 defeat.

In the D and G Trophy, New Marske Lakes United fought to a penalty victory at Loftus Athletic. Lakes netted through Liam Robson, Ben Marshall and Blue Addison in a 3-3 draw in normal time. Dom Yeates' spot-kick save then enabled Danny Rowe to fire home the winner in a 5-4 success.

Stokesley Armstrong Richardson also progressed against another First Division side. AR raced into a 3-0 lead at Middlesbrough and Tesside Sports Academy, before Bryan Caddick's 40-yarder gave the Academics a snip. Despite playing with ten men, the hosts struck again through Caddick, only for the visitors to break late on to secure a 4-2 victory.

We wish Boro Rangers well on Tuesday night when they visit York City in the North Riding Senior Cup Quarter Finals.


Thanks to Andrew Snaith, NRFL Media Officer.
Read 1503 times Last modified on Monday, 05 February 2018 14:44
Login to post comments


  • Community Voice FM (CVFM) Ltd is not for profit media organisation based in Middlesbrough: we operate a grassroots-led radio station. 104.5 CVFM Radio started broadcasting in August 2009 serving the diverse population of Middlesbrough and the surrounding areas.

Find Us

Contact us

Community Information & Media House 169 Victoria Road
Middlesbrough, TS1 3
01642 688104


  • CVFM is the home of great music and chat, broadcasting 24 hours a day from the heart of Middlesbrough